Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Potato Salad

A few weeks ago I came up with several ideas for blog posts so I put the ideas on little post it notes and scattered them through my calendar.  Unfortunately, that did not motivate me to post.  Instead I kept moving the stickers forward until pretty soon, my calendar looked like this:


Despite all those ideas, I decided to post something else today.  Last week I had a terrible stomach thing which resulted in a day of resting and recuperating.  I wanted some kind of potato which usually means baked fries (that's on one of those post it notes for a future post!) but this time I wanted something different.  Maybe I should get sick more often because I threw this recipe together and I've been obsessed with it ever since.
This is what one pound of potatoes looks like.

It is super easy so I've been able to give in to my obsession and have it almost every day!  I even have time to make this in the morning before work.

Tastes better than it looks.  Not the most photogenic recipe!
I hate to call it potato salad because it is so much better than a normal potato salad but in the end, that is really the best name so I'm stuck with it.  I found that I like this better at room temperature than straight out of the refrigerator but both ways are good.  This serves one person if that person is me and it is lunch time!

Potato Salad

1 pound small Yukon gold potatoes (or your favorite - a few days ago I used a combination of all the left over potatoes in the bottom of our drawer).

Boil until a fork easily pierces them.  Usually about 20 minutes.

Mix together in a large bowl:
2 T Dijon mustard (I've also used sweet and spicy mustard which was delicious)
1 pickle spear, thinly sliced
2 T pickle juice

When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice them and add to the mustard mixture.  You want them to still be a little warm so they soak up the flavors better. Add salt and pepper to taste and then mix everything up.  If it seems too dry, add more pickle juice.  Let chill for at least 30 minutes.  

If this is too vinegary for you, add about a tablespoon of vegan mayonnaise.  Personally it is perfect for me without the mayo but I love mustard and pickles.


No comments:

Post a Comment