Sunday, April 6, 2014

Stuffed Pepper Pasta

Last week was a mess.  We are still not completed done with the remodeling in the family room but decided to jump to the computer room anyway.  So now we have stuff from both of those rooms all over the rest of the house.  That clutter is enough to drive me crazy but then on top of it I didn't plan our meals last week so I feel like I'm living in chaos!

Last night I went through the refrigerator to see what produce needed to be used up.  When I don't know what to cook, I always start with boiling water for pasta.  For some reason I had three bell peppers in the fridge.  I'm not sure what I was thinking when I bought them but they were still in good shape so I started chopping them.

Our weather continues to be very winter-like and I think I must have just been fed up last weekend because I bought some tomatoes.  I never buy tomatoes in the winter because they just don't taste like anything.  I had a few of these raw earlier in the week though and they weren't too bad.

Once I decided to add those to the peppers I realized I basically had the same ingredients as we use for stuffed peppers.  Our favorite recipe stuffs the peppers with a rice and tomato filling so I took that idea but chopped up the peppers and put them on pasta.

For the stuffed pepper recipe, I usually use fresh parsley but when I haven't had any, I've been able to get by with dried.  Right now I have some growing in my window sill (ignore the filthy window - it's still winter here!) but there wasn't much so I probably only used about half the amount I would have liked.

It turned out really tasty and it only took a few minutes to make.  I was shocked!

Stuffed Pepper Pasta

1 pound pasta of your choice
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 bell peppers, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes or about 1 1/2 cups fresh
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (I make a vegan version from Everyday Happy Herbivore)
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Ground pepper
Garlic salt

Prepare the pasta according to the package.

Heat the oil in a skillet.  Add the peppers and green onion and saute for about 5 minutes.  Add the tomatoes, Worcestershire, parsley, salt and pepper and heat through.  Combine the pasta and peppers and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment