Thursday, April 9, 2015

Chickpea and Kale Piccata

I'll start off by saying that I'm not sure if this is a piccata or not.  I was calling it that but then I realized that anything with capers and lemon juice, I tend to label as piccata.  I really should research what that actually means.  Oh well, it was delicious, and I loved it, and that is the name I have in my head so I'm sticking with it!


The great thing about kale is it holds up well which makes the leftovers perfect for lunch the next day.  It might turn a little olive green because of the lemon but it tastes just as good as the night before.

Chickpea and Kale Piccata

4 tablespoons vegetable broth (for sauteing)
1 cup sliced onions
6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
3 tablespoons capers
2 cups chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 cups kale, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Juice of 1/2 a lemon

In a large skillet, saute the onions in broth until they are soft.  Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes.  Add the vegetable broth, salt, pepper and thyme and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat slightly and cook for about 5 minutes.  Stir in the chickpeas, capers, and kale and cook until the kale is wilted, about 5 more minutes.  Remove from heat and squeeze lemon over the top.  Serve on  mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment