Sunday, February 23, 2014

Blackberry Smoothie

Look at this gorgeous purple smoothie and how badly it clashes with my kitchen!  I love smoothies with vibrant colors.  Usually for me, they are green but this one turned into a fantastic purple.  Smoothie recipes always seem a little silly to post since basically you just dump things in a blender and see how they turn out. I have a couple reasons for posting this one though.

First, for some reason blackberries have been really cheap the past few weeks.  All the other berries have been pricey (as you'd expect in Chicago in the winter) but blackberries have been about a third of the price of the others.  Since fruit choices in the winter are slim, I grabbed them.

My second reason for posting this is that I used Vega powder with it and this combination completely hid the grainy texture that you usually get with brown rice powders.  I don't mind the powder but they aren't my favorite and this was my best attempt to disguise the texture and taste.

So, here is another smoothie recipe!

Blackberry Smoothy

3 oz. blackberries (this was half my container or about 12 blackberries)
1 banana
8 oz oat milk or non-dairy milk of choice
1 scoop protein powder (I used Vega Vanilla Almondilla powder)

Blend everything together.  Even in my VitaMix, I couldn't get rid of the blackberry seeds so I strained it before drinking.  I've had this the past two mornings and both times tried to drink it with the seeds but they bug me too much!

No comments:

Post a Comment