Saturday, March 1, 2014

Weekly Meal Plan #3

It's been a while since I posted a meal plan so I thought I'd post what we followed last week just because it has several recipes from another one of my favorite cookbooks.  Vegan on the Cheap by Robin Robertson has recipes easy and quick enough for my husband to handle.  Since my daughter now has practice every night until 5:30, he has to be able to make dinner completely by himself with no help at all.  It helps if they are quick as well because he refuses to start cooking until about 4:50 and I come home at 5:30 absolutely starved.

I originally bought this book because it has the word cheap in the title and I live by my very strict budget.  She has a note at the top of each recipe telling you how much it costs per serving.  I've never tested the amounts against my local grocery costs but they seem reasonable.

We didn't have any leftovers to eat last Saturday so this plan started that night.  There is only one night that we didn't eat what was planned so that will be for tonight's dinner.

Saturday:  Coconut Curry Rice - Vegan on the Cheap

Sunday: Cornbread and beans - family recipe posted on my old blog, Besides Pizza.  The cornbread recipe there calls for milk and eggs.  Obviously we switched to non-dairy milk since then.  We still sometimes use eggs in this if we have them but this time I didn't have any so we used our favorite arrowroot replacement (see here, here, or here for the amounts).

Monday: Mu Shu Burritos - Vegan on the Cheap - Bill wasn't home so Kayleigh and I had to fix this when we got home.  I use the seitan recipe in this same book and freeze it so it is ready to go when we make this recipe.  I also ate this Tuesday and Wednesday for lunch and Thursday for dinner.

Tuesday: White Bean Bruschetta - My own recipe.  I'll add this to my list of recipes to post.  It's a good recipe when you don't have any fresh food on hand.

Wednesday: Quinoa with Chickpeas and Spinach - Another one of my recipes.  It is basically quinoa cooking in orange juice and added to chickpeas, spinach and a few other things.  Bill wasn't home this night either but I didn't know that when I made the plan.  Still we were able to get dinner completed before 6.  This was my lunch for Thursday and Friday.

Thursday: Samosa Pie - Vegan on the Cheap - We ended up having leftovers because the fridge was getting full so we''ll have this tonight instead.  That's probably for the better because this one would have been hard for Bill since it includes a pie crust.

Friday: Deconstructed enchilada bake - Vegan on the Cheap.  I also use her cheese sauce on this.  Delicious.  We'll get a couple lunches out of this.

I'll post next week's plan next Saturday.  We're in a bit of a financial crunch all of a sudden so I planned next week so that I wouldn't have to go to the grocery store this weekend.  Lots of pantry items.


No comments:

Post a Comment