Saturday, February 7, 2015

Drop Biscuits


Last week we were at my parents and, as usually happens, we started discussing recipes.  Somehow we got on the topic of biscuits and my mom said she couldn't be bothered rolling out and cutting homemade biscuits.  I make homemade rolls, biscuits, scones, muffins and breads on a pretty regular basis and I think, in general, they are a lot easier than some people tend to think.  But to make it even easier (or more likely to prevent me from having to wash more dishes) I have a biscuit recipe that is just as good but doesn't require a rolling pin or biscuit cutter.

These are very basic biscuits.  If you wanted to add a little sweetness, you could easily sprinkle in a little sugar.  We usually leave them as is and add the sweetness in the form of jam after they are baked.

I was reminded today that I never gave my mom the promised recipe so I decided to make them for dinner tonight and post it here for everyone to enjoy.  So enjoy!

Drop Biscuits

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  

Mix the following ingredients in a bowl:
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt

Using a pastry cutter, cut in 1/4 cup shortening until the mixture is crumbly.  Stir in 1 cup soy milk. 

The mixture will be a little gummy.  Drop heaping spoonfuls onto a lightly greased pan.  They don't expand much so they can be somewhat close together.

Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.  

Makes one dozen biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment