Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Getting ready for my 5K

Overall I've been happy with my running even though my exercising in general has decreased dramatically since I returned to work.  The first week, the only thing I wanted to do when I got home was sit on the couch and watch TV but now I can actually continue to function for a couple more hours.  Still I'm glad I reached my goal of running 3 miles before I returned to work. I needed that confidence boost.

This Saturday is my 5K run.  I'm not sure if I'm more nervous about running or the fact that I have to get up, drive about an hour and then run in a huge group of people with tons of spectators!  I'm trying not to think about it too much.

To get ready for this weekend, I decided that tonight would be my last run.  I planned on running nice and slow just to stretch my legs.  When I got to the park, though, I felt so good I just had to go.  On the first lap (2/3 mile) I beat my best time by one minute.  I still felt good but decided I really should slow down.  I ended up doing 2 miles in 21:35 which is still pretty fast considering my mile times are usually 11 to 11:30.  Overall, this gave me a big confidence boost for the weekend.

Tomorrow night I'm planning to do some strength training and then Friday night some yoga so I'm nice and relaxed (yeah, right!) for Saturday morning.

Kayleigh has morning training now so she didn't run with me but she did go to the park and took some pictures.


I don't look quite a miserable as I used to!

These clouds created a beautiful picture but they are also bringing with them beautiful cool weather for the weekend with low humidity.  I was scared to death we'd have miserable weather with it being August.  This has to be a good sign!


No comments:

Post a Comment