Saturday, November 23, 2013

Garlicky Butternut Squash with Pasta



Another recipe.  I'm still slacking on my exercising but at least I'm eating well!  This was the first way I ever had butternut squash and instantly fell in love with it.  Bill and Kayleigh have been a little slower to warm up to it but Bill is starting to enjoy this recipe.

I've heard that you don't have to peel butternut squash but I always do.  There have been a few times that a little bit of peel gets left on accidentally and it is edible but I don't like the texture of it.

This recipe is really good if you can get the butternut squash a little crispy but don't worry if it starts to get mushy.  It still tastes good.

Garlicky Butternut Squash with Pasta

3 tbsp olive oil
4 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground sage
1 tsp dried parsley (if you have fresh, use about 1/4 cup)
salt & pepper
1/2 cup water
1 pound pasta (penne, rotini, and farfalle are my favorites)

Cook the pasta according to the package.

Heat the oil in a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the butternut squash and cook for about 5 minutes, until it starts to brown.  Toss it and cook 5 more minutes.  Add the garlic and spices and cook 2 minutes.  Add the water, mix everything together, and cover the pan.  Reduce the heat to low and cook 15 minutes.

Add the cooked pasta to the butternut mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment