Monday, November 25, 2013

Raspberry and Chocolate Granola


Granola is one of my favorite healthy treats to have on hand for snacking. I never completely trust the store-bought kind though.  There were always all those stories about how people think they are eating something healthy but it is actually loaded with fat and you'd be better off with a candy bar.  My granola has fat in it as well, but I feel better knowing exactly what is included.

My mom had something like this for chopping nuts when I was little and I loved it so much, I had to get one.

I have a standard recipe that I follow with general categories.  This is my latest favorite version though.  It is in weighted measure which I know some people hate.  I really think it works best for things like this though.  I put the big bowl on my scale and re-set it after each addition.

This flax seed mixture turns into nutty clumps in the granola.

I like this mixed with silken tofu that I blend up into a yogurt-like think but it is just as good with a little almond milk.  And of course I add chocolate chips because a snack isn't a snack without chocolate!

Raspberry and Chocolate Granola

3 tbsp ground flax seed
3 tbsp water
280 g old fashion rolled oats
80 grams chopped walnuts
50 grams raw pumpkin seeds
20 grams sesame seeds
20 grams sliced almonds
30 grams unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
3 tbsp agave nectar
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
sprinkle of salt
1 tsp almond extract
60 grams chocolate chips (I was just thinking that chocolate covered dried cherries would be really good!)

Mix the ground flax seed and water.  Set aside for 15 minutes.

Mix remaining ingredients except chocolate chips together in a large bowl.  Add the flax seed mixture.  Mix everything together with a fork and spread it on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake at 300 degrees for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.  Allow to cool then stir in the chocolate.  Store in an air tight container at room temperature.




No comments:

Post a Comment