Friday, July 5, 2013

Chocolate Cherry Cobbler

I'm always excited when I see bing cherries in the grocery store because it means I can make one of my favorite desserts.  I used to eat this all by myself which is a little gluttonous!  A couple years ago I finally convinced Kayleigh to try it though so now I have to share.  I wish I could give proper credit for this recipe.  I cut it out of a magazine several years ago but there is nothing indicating which magazine it was.
This is what you start with.
On the top of the clipping I wrote, "completely worth pitting all those cherries" so that gives you an idea of how good it is but also the pain involved.  This year the cherries were even harder to pit.  I think we are a little early in the season and they weren't as ripe as they could be.  Still, the cobbler turned out delicious.
And this is what you end up with after what seems like hours!

Chocolate Cherry Cobbler

2 pounds fresh bing cherries, pitted
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 cup ground almonds/almond meal
1/2 cup margarine
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 375 degrees.  Combine the pitted strawberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, and lemon juice.  Pour into a 11X7 inch baking dish.

Combine the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, and almond meal in a medium bowl.  Cut in the margarine with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in chocolate chips.

Sprinkle the topping over the cherries, squeezing some of it to form larger clumps.

Bake 35 minutes or until the cherries are bubbling.  Cool for 30 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment