Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Fun Treadmill Workout?

I promised myself that when I finally found time to post, I would not mention the weather so I'm going to pretend that 2 feet of snow and -15 degree weather for 3 weeks is normal! Plus I refuse to post a picture of this craziness.

I'd like to say that the reason I haven't posted anything in 2 weeks (or has it been 3?) is because I've been working out so much that there just hasn't been the time.  Unfortunately I've barely worked out.  It started with an issue with my elbow.  I messed it up a few months ago and it has really been bothering me so I've been restricted to basically just running.  There may be some people in Chicago running outside but I am not one of them!  I don't hate the treadmill the way some people do (my daughter) but I get bored with it easily.  Of course part of it was just plain laziness, too.

I was already planning to run tonight when I saw that Patty Rivas posted what she called a "Fun Treadmill Workout" on Google + so I decided to give it a try.  I had to adapt it a little bit because I'm out of shape but it was still a challenge and a really nice change.  Click here for her blog post describing her workout.  Here is how I adjusted it.

I started out with a walking warm up for the first song which turned out to be almost exactly 5 minutes long.  Then I ran the next song at 5.3 and bumped it up to 6 for the chorus.  I quickly realized this was going to be harder than I expected so for the next song I dropped back down to a walk with an incline of 1% and bumped it up to 3% at the chorus.  I continued this back and forth for 5 songs and then ended with a walking cool down.  I did a total of 33 minutes and 2.44 miles.

I liked the unpredictable part of it.  Some songs repeat the chorus way to many times and others had what seemed like unusually long ones which forced me to really push myself.  The other thing I liked about this workout is that depending on what song I start with, it could be a different workout every time.  I'm definitely going to use this to try to change up my runs from time to time.  Thanks Patty!

No comments:

Post a Comment