Sunday, January 5, 2014

We Are Snowed In - Time To Bake!

I'm really glad that today is a Sunday because I can't imagine trying to get to work when it looks like this outside:

After this big dump of snow, we are supposed to drop way below zero.  Kayleigh's school is already cancelled for Monday and Tuesday and Bill's start time for work tomorrow has been pushed back three and a half hours.  All the local colleges and universities are even closed.  Although I have what I would consider to be one of the least essential jobs in the world, I will be at work tomorrow!

This afternoon while Bill was outside trying to get the snow off our garage so it doesn't cave in and Kayleigh was downstairs running on the treadmill, I decided to bake!  I had several ideas in mind but when I noticed that my blondie recipe calls for three eggs, I decided to try our eggless experiment again.  That allowed me to say I was "working on a blog post" instead of "baking cookies to stuff in my face while watching TV"!  No more guilt!

I used the arrowroot mixture again so for three eggs it was 3 tablespoons arrowroot and 9 tablespoons water.  I was worried at first because it looked like it was separating but after mixing it at high speed for about a minute, it looked better.  The final batter was the same appearance and consistency (and taste because you know we always eat the batter!) as usual. The bars tasted better than usual because they were a little less oily which was nice.


                                                        This it what it looks like when you first add the arrowroot.

I'm really surprised that it worked for three eggs. It appears that this substitution will work for any baked goods kind of recipes.

Blondies

3/4 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons arrowroot powder
9 tablespoons water
2 1/4 cups flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the arrowroot and water together and set aside.  In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.

In a mixer, beat the margarine, sugars, and vanilla until well combined.  While the mixer is on low, slowly add in the arrowroot mixture.  Beat about one minute.  Gradually mix in the flour mixture.  Stir in the chips.

Pour the batter into a parchment lined 15x10 inch baking pan.  Spread it evenly over the pan.  Bake for 15-20 minutes. Watch it carefully.  It seems to go straight from raw to burnt.  Cool completely and then cut in squares.

 Here it the batter .


 It almost overflowed!
UPDATE: The state just declared a state of emergency.  Only emergency vehicles allowed on the road.  Please let the power stay on!

No comments:

Post a Comment