Saturday, January 4, 2014

Meal Plan - Last Week and Next Week


The bad weather and stress of the past couple weeks finally got to Bill and I and we both caught a cold last week.  We are big advocates of zinc to fight off colds so we've been taking that like crazy and it is keeping the symptoms minimal.  Still we haven't been overly motivated.  I had planned to post a recipe during the week but every night I said - "Maybe tomorrow"!

We did get through most of the recipes planned for the week though. We had a few changes during the week though so you can see that there is some flexibility within the plan.  

Tuesday was the first night where we made an adjustment.  We still had the soups but instead of the southwestern greens and pinto beans, we made Rockin' Reubens from Robin Robertson's "Quick-Fix Vegetarian" with the left over sauerkraut from Sunday.  My husband would eat these reubens every week if I let him!  The funny thing is that none of us have ever had a traditional reuben so we have no idea how it compares but we love them.  Since we didn't have the pinto bean dish, I had extra spinach which I threw into smoothies during the week.  Spinach never goes to waste in our house so that was an easy adjustment to make.

The only other change we made is that we had leftovers on Friday and we are having the meals planned for that day tonight (Saturday).  I did this because Kayeigh had to work last night so I thought leftovers made more sense.  

As I had mentioned, we had a lot of new recipes last week.  My favorite hands down was Thursday's quinoa with kale, sweet potatoes and pecans.  This was the only night I wasn't home to cook.  Bill came home and went straight to bed so Kayleigh made it by herself and she did a great job.  It was so good!  I really liked the texture of the kale.  It was cooked but  not soggy and the whole thing went together really well.  We forgot to roast the cauliflower and broccoli though so those left overs and still hanging around.  

Speaking of leftovers, my husband was concerned we didn't have enough to make a meal last night.  Here is what I pulled out of the fridge:

Yeah, we had plenty!  The roasted garlic mashed potatoes and multi-veg hash browns are the only things left.  We weren't too thrilled with either of them so I think I'm going to puree them together today and have them for lunch as a kind of mashed potato thing.  

Overall we did well last week but this week I'll be back to work and Kayleigh will have practice after school so we'll see how it goes.  I received my January/February Vegetarian Times in the mail yesterday so I picked several things from there along with a few things from Robin Robertson's "Quick-Fix Vegetarian" because Bill really likes that cookbook.  Here is what I have planned:

Sunday
Breakfast - Cherry Turnovers - Veg Times p. 64
Sesame-Ginger Broccoli Soup - Veg Times p. 24Quinoa Pilaf with Spinach, Apples and Walnuts - Quick Fix p. 99

Monday
Oven-Fried Truffle Chips - Veg Times p. 63

Tuesday
Black Bean Tostadas with Kiwi Salsa - Veg Times p. 56

Wednesday
Red Curry Veg Soup - Veg Times p. 26
Brown Rice

Thursday
Fettuccine with Rainbow Chard, Golden Raisins, and Pine Nuts - Quick Fix p. 125

Friday 
Linguine with Edamame Pesto - Quick Fix p. 130

I also want to make the Bittersweet Cashew Cream Truffle Squares on page 50 of Vegetarian Times sometime this week.

I won't even mention my weekly exercise challenge results!  You can imagine how it went if I couldn't even get up the energy to post a recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment