Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Breakfast Smoothie

I am currently reading "Salt Sugar Fat" by Micheal Moss.  I'm only about a quarter of the way through but so far it is very interesting.  Yesterday I was reading the section about sugar and a researcher he had interviewed was talking about how sugar has been added to many foods in the United States that weren't traditionally sweet and that, "there is absolutely no tolerance now for foods that are not sweet."

I have been cutting the sugar in baked goods in half for several years now so I was feeling pretty good about myself until I started to think about this quote.  Then I realized that I also add sugar to foods that shouldn't really be sweet such as spaghetti sauce and pizza crust.  I'm going to have to start rethinking some of my recipes.

But I have managed to remove the sugar from my breakfast.

A long time ago I used to have Instant Breakfast and then over the years switched to several other powdered drink type things.  My stomach is usually funny in the morning so I do better with drinks that I can eat very quickly and get something in my stomach before it realizes that I am fully awake!  Plus I take one tablespoon of flax seed oil every day to help with my IBS.  It was easiest to add it to a drink in the morning.

I always felt a little uncomfortable with the purchased powders though because they have many ingredients which I didn't recognize plus lots of sugar.  So I experimented for a while and came up with this smoothie which I now drink every single morning.  It is quick and easy and the only sweetness comes from the banana (if you get unsweetened non-dairy milk). 

Breakfast Smoothie

1 frozen banana, slightly thawed for easier blending
1 tablespoon hemp seed
1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
3/4 cup non-dairy milk

Blend everything until smooth.  Enjoy!

I don't have a picture but it looks just like chocolate milk.  Instead here is a picture of the same flowers from yesterday.  This is only a couple hours later.  The heat and humidity made me feel just like these flowers look.
We're all better today though!

No comments:

Post a Comment