Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Thai Tofu

Today has been one of those days where I feel like I didn't accomplish anything when actually I did.  First of all, I got my workout in so that is always a good day.  I also did some laundry and cleaning, read a little bit. The best thing is that I was called for a job interview- hurray!  Those have been few and far between.

Tonight we had a thrown together meal but my daughter was happy because it was one of her favorite tofu recipes.  Several months ago I made a stir fry and she didn't really care for it but loved the tofu.  I experimented and came up with a way to make the tofu as a side dish.  It can also be combined with vegetables or eaten on top of rice or pasta. 

We usually call this Kayleigh's Tofu but I wanted a more universal name so she came up with Thai Tofu.  I think she came up with the name because she was offered a summer job today at our friend's Thai restaurant.  We're being flooded in employment opportunities today!

I think it would be good with cilantro sprinkled on top but Kayleigh doesn't like cilantro so I leave it off.

Thai Tofu

1 pound tofu, drained, pressed, and cubed
1 T cornstarch
1/2 T oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp fresh ginger
1 T tamari or soy sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp ketchup
1/4 tsp toasted sesame oil

In a medium bowl, toss the tofu in the cornstarch.

In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, ginger, tamari, vinegar, ketchup and sesame oil.

Heat the oil in a wok over high heat.  Add the tofu, spreading it in an even layer.  Leave for 2 minutes.  Toss, scraping the bottom,
and let set two more minutes.  Continue until the tofu is nicely browned on all sides.

Add the ginger mixture to the wok.  Cook while stirring for 3 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment