Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Interviewing Tips

I had my first interview today with a local bank.  I'm very happy with how it went but I'm trying not to get my hopes up because I've been down this road before.  Here is a picture before my interview:

That is the best I can look!  It is humid today and I was very concerned about my hair but it stayed somewhat tame.  I was also really stressed out picking something to wear because my nicest clothes are all winter.


This morning I was thinking about everything I know about interviewing and a few things really stuck out in my mind.  The first is from my former boss.  He said that no one gets a job based on their resume.  The point of the resume is to get you a first interview, the point of the first interview is to get the second interview, etc.  That was a really good reminder and it takes some of the pressure off.  At this point I wasn't trying to get the job, I just needed to make them want to talk to me further.  I feel like I accomplished that.

The second piece of wisdom came from my friend after I didn't get the last job that I interviewed for.  I went through three interviews but in the end they picked someone else.  I was really happy with my interviews and thought I represented my skills and personality well.  I had commented to her that I wish I knew what it was that made them not choose me.  She said it didn't matter because if I knew what it was and changed that part of me, I wouldn't be true to myself.  If they saw who I was and didn't think I was right for the job, then it wasn't the right job for me.  Even though I was very disappointed, this really made me feel better.

The final thing was e-mailed to me by another former employee.  His job was eliminated several months before mine and he hasn't found anything yet either.  He said we just need to be patient and the right position will come along.  I think this is possibly the most important reminder.  I always say that everything works out in the end but sometimes I get so wrapped up in my day-to-day issues that I need someone to remind me of that.

So now I'm going to try to remain optimistic and wait to see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment