Monday, June 17, 2013

Eggless Experiment #4 - Flax Seed

 
It almost doesn't seem fair for anything to have to follow the huge success of arrowroot powder last week.  Still we continued on this week with flax seed.  I've used ground flax seed in the past in corn bread with good results.  I think I've used it a few other times too when I've been in a pinch.  I used to buy both regular ground flax seed and the golden but now I only buy the golden.  That was probably good because the other may change the color of the cookies.


To replace one egg you use 1 tablespoon ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons warm water.  I let my tap run and get as warm as possible.  I whisked it together and then let the mixture set for a couple minutes.  It turned porridge-like.  I followed the same chocolate chip cookie recipe found here.


The dough had the normal consistency, taste and color.  The cookies baked up well but shortly after coming out of the oven, they became very flat.  The taste of the cookies both warm and cold was good but there was a slightly "healthy" flavor as if you used oatmeal or whole wheat flour.  None of us could exactly explain it but we all noticed it.


I would put flax seed in a tie with hemp seeds for 2nd place.  Arrowroot powder remains the clear winner and chia seeds are by far the worst choice.  Next week we have our final option which is Ener-G Egg Replacer.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment