Thursday, June 27, 2013

Cucumber Salad

It is so hot today!  While I am very happy to have air conditioning on days like this, I hate being stuck in the shut up house all day.  So this afternoon when we went to run errands, I left the windows open in the car.   We were pretty miserable while driving and then we were stopped by a train.  Still, I think the fresh air is good for us.

Luckily, after dropping off books at the library, we decided to stop by the produce market.  I picked up some truly terrible nectarines but also grabbed a cucumber.  I crave cucumber salad when it gets in the 90's like this.  I've experimented with several variations but this is my favorite.

The marinade

Cucumber Salad

2 cups cucumber slices, from peeled and seeded cucumbers
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tsp agave nectar
1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
 1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
4 whole black peppercorns

Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for 3 hours, stirring periodically.  If you have any leftovers, keep draining off some of the vinegar mixture and adding water so they don't become too strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment