Sunday, June 2, 2013

Lentil Patties and Onion Soup Mix

Short post today but I'm giving you two recipes to make up for it!  I've caught some kind of miserable cold that is really running me down.  I'm sure it has something with our crazy weather that requires air conditioning one day and the furnace the next.  Today is a furnace day.  Kayleigh and I went to the park where I mostly walked and she ran 3 miles.  We were all bundled up but I was still wishing I had brought ear muffs.

These lentil patties are my husband's favorite.  They are a pain to make, not because they are involved, but because they are almost impossible to keep together when you flip them.  I learned not to stress over it.  I flip it as well as I can and then press the pieces back together into a basic patty shape.  Luckily my daughter prefers it when it falls apart so when I get one that won't cooperate at all, it goes to her!

I used to use the packets of dry onion soup mix to flavor these patties along with a few other recipes.  It really bugged me how salty that was though so I came up with my own mixture that I keep on hand.  This is salty enough for us but keep in mind that if you are used to the store bought version, you may want to season your food more strongly to make up for the reduced salt.

Dry Onion Soup Mix

3/4 cup dry minced onion
1/3 cup vegetable bouillon
4 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon celery salt

Mix everything and store in an airtight jar.  1/4 cup equals one store-bought packet.

Lentil Patties

1 cup brown lentils
1 strip kombu, optional
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup non-dairy milk
1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
1/4 cup dry onion soup mix
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup bread crumbs
Vegetable oil for frying

Combine lentils, water and kombu (if using) in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes.  Drain and remove kombu.

In a large bowl, combine lentils with remaining ingredients.  Mix well and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

Heat a non-stick pan and coat with oil.  Using an ice cream scoop or a 1/3 cup measuring cup, press the lentil mixture and then drop into the pan. 

Press with the back of a spatula to flatten the patty. 

Keep heat relatively high.  Once the patties start to brown (4-5 minutes), flip them as well as you can.  Press any loose pieces back into the patty.  Cook an additional 4-5 minutes.

These are very good with gravy and mashed potatoes.  Here is what Kayleigh's crumbly patty looks like!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment